Monday, September 12, 2011

The girl with a black balloon by Mawi Cataran

© The girl with a black balloon 2011. All rights reserved.
Distribution of any kind is prohibited without the written consent of Maestrel G. Cataran. This is purely a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents are used fictitiously,
and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments,
events or locales is entirely coincidental.











The girl with a black balloon by Mawi Cataran






“…but I did saw a girl.”

It was a very sunny morning. My mom and I decided to go to the park and some time together. While we were on the bus, I sat beside the window and looked outside. I saw a black cloud heading towards our way; maybe it’s a rain cloud.

“Mom, I think it’s going to rain.” I said to my mom. She looked outside the window and said “how come you said that Jimmy? Look, it’s very sunny outside.”

I looked again and to my surprise it is sunny but I did saw a rain cloud.

“But I did saw a rain cloud mom.” I said while looking outside the window.

After we got off the bus, we went straight to the park. My mom sat down on the bench and started reading her book then I went to the playground and play with some kids there.

Everyone’s having fun, some boys playing yoyo and girls playing dolls. But one thing caught my attention; it was a girl sitting under a tree.

A blonde little girl, who’s been sitting there, not moving, she’s too pretty to be lonely. Her black dress made her skin too pale. She’s too weird. She’s been staring there blankly through thin air. She’s not even blinking!

To my curiosity, I went near her and said “hi there, what’s your name?” I waited for her response but I got nothing. She didn’t even look at me.
I tried to talk to her again; maybe she didn’t hear me, “Hi there.” I said as I tapped her shoulder. “Leave me alone.” She said. Again she did not look at me.

I sat beside her and by that time she looked at me straight to my eyes. I can see that she’s angry and lonely at the same time.
“I-TOLD-YOU-TO-LEAVE-ME-ALONE!!!” she said and then she ran-off to the woods.

“Wait for me Blondie!” I said as I ran after her. But she ran-off to the woods… I can’t go there. Mom told me not to go there because there are monsters in there. I took one step forward and then looked back at the playground.
“I’m sorry mom but I have to go look for her.” I said.

Tall pine trees, green leafy bushes and rocks the heck is she?” I said told myself.

“Leave me alone! Freak!!!” I heard her shout.

I followed where the voice as coming from. I walked for about 10 minutes and then I saw a path way. A weird and long path way made of white and black bricks.

“Hey, little boy. Where do you think you’re going?”

Who’s there?
I looked around but no one’s there. All I can see are trees and this weird pathway. I ignored it and walked again and followed the pathway. I noticed that every time I step on the black brick the sky turns white and every time I step on the white brick the sky turns black. I decided to step only on the black bricks.

I was about to step on the black brick until…

“DON’T-YOU-DARE-STEP-ON-THAT-EFFIN-BRICK.”

My foot was about 5 inches above the black brick. “Why?” I asked her. I know it’s her, I know it’s her voice.
“If you want to survive this stupid world, then don’t you dare step on that brick” She said. What?! One step and I’m dead?!

“w-what do y-you want me to do then?” I asked her.

“Come with me.” She said, so I decided to face her.

“Where the heck are you?” I asked. She’s gone.

“Walk away, step on the grass.” Grass. What grass? There’s no grass here. All I can see are black cloud, black trees, white floor and this pathway.

“There’s no grass here.” I said.

“Just think of grass, meadows.” She said.

“Why?” I asked her again. Why would I do that? “Just think of it or I will kill you.” She said. What?! Kill me?! Is that a threat? Maybe she’s a zombie? No… she’s a WITCH!

“Silly little boy! I’m not a witch!” whoa she can read minds too?! Can witches read minds?

“I cannot read minds; it’s just that you speak your thoughts out too loud.” She explained.

“Where are you?”

“…everything you think comes alive…” she said.

“What?” what will I do now? I’m lost. I’m confused. And I’m hungry.

She said that everything I think comes alive. I closed my eyes and think of a beautiful meadow and a girl wearing a black dress.

I opened my eyes and smiled. As I expected, a beautiful meadow, I saw Blondie sitting under an apple tree.

“Blondie!” I called her. It’s so funny, a blond, pale skin, wearing a black dress, sitting under a beautiful apple tree.


“Thank you.” She said.

“For what?” I’m confused.

“For listening to me and now I have one last thing to find.” She said.

“And what is it?”

“A pure heart so I can have a reason to stay here.” She said then looked away.

“Stay?” I asked Blondie.

“An old lady cursed me because I blew up her black balloon. Screw her! It’s not even my fault! I even said sorry to her.” She explained.

“Can I hug you?”

“What?! Are you nuts or something?!” she panicked.

“My mom told me if you hug someone it helps less someone’s burden.” I explained.

“But if you really don’t want… it’s—” she cut me off and hugged me.

“I really need a hug right now.” She whispered.

Is she crying? Good thing I can’t see her face. I don’t like to see girls that are crying. It’s annoying.

“Cry. Just let it out.” I said as I’m patting her back.

She just cries and cries and cries…

…then suddenly she stops.

“Blondie?”

“Hayst.”

“are you okay?”


She let go and look down I can’t see her face because of her long blonde hair.

“Blondie are you okay?” answer me—” I said while shaking her shoulders.

Why won’t she look at me?

“ha… hahahahaha”

Huh? Last time I check she’s crying and no she’s laughing?! Is this some kind of a joke?

“If I really don’t know you right now, I might think that you’re a lunatic or something.”

She just stops and looks at me like a fool.


“I should be going now.” She said while she stands up.

“Where are you going?”

“Now I have a reason to stay.”

“I can’t understand you. Why do you have to go? Can I come with you?”

“No, you should go back to your mom. She is waiting for you. She needs you.” Then she starts walking.

“Would you come back?” please come back.



She turns and said “don’t worry, we’ll meet again someday Jimmy.” Then she smiles. “Oh, and one thing, can you think of a black balloon? I want a black balloon.”



“sure.” I close my eyes and think of a blonde girl wearing a black dress and holding a black balloon.

“Until we meet again Jimmy.” She said then I open my eyes and she’s gone.

“~…everything you think comes alive…~”

I close again eyes and think of her.

“Jimmy… Jimmy wake up. We’re going home…”

Then I open my eyes I saw my mom. I’m on the park again, under a tree where I first saw Blondie.

“Mom, where is she?” I asked my mom.

“Who?”

“A blonde wearing a black dress and holding a black balloon.” I said.

“There’s no girl here Jimmy. Maybe you’re dreaming.”

Dreaming? No. It can’t be. She’s real. I know she is.


“…but I did saw a girl.”



15 years later


Years had pass. Every night I dream of her, every day I draw her. I have tons and tons of sketches of her, only her.


Now I am here at my art exhibit staring at my painting:


A boy and a blonde girl wearing a black dress and holding a black balloon while sitting under an apple tree and staring at the beautiful meadow.

“Everything you think comes alive.” Someone read the title.



I know that voice. After 15 years, at last I heard her voice again.


“Blondie…”

No comments:

Post a Comment